Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Updates and such

Hey guys. I have not actually written anything in a little while and I thought that I would give you all an actual update. I was also thinking that I am going to go back to updating at least once a week. Now that I am using a blog format, it is a little easier for me to do it. So no excuses. Every Wednesday (unless I am out of town, but maybe even then) I will write something.

Steve has been here twice and has gone back. I am working five days a week at Bad Azz Leather and tattoos. I am not thrilled about the name, but really it is a clean shop. Keith Weaver, the other artist that works there, is a very funny and talented guy. He did this combination tribal/oriental wind bar thing the other day that was pretty amazing. I really do like working there. I get to do a lot of large, fun tattoos.... like the one that I am working on that I posted below.

Toyota (well, the extended warranty people) have decided to fix Steve's truck, so that is good news. My house, which fared pretty well in the hurricane, has power and telephone again. It didn't get finished while he was here, so chances are good that I will be driving it to him near the end of October or the first part of November and then flying back here. That means that I will be in New Orleans for about five days to a week. That also means that if you want to get a tattoo during that time, I will probably try to set up appointments for a few days during that time. If you would like to get something, let me know. I wish I knew the exact dates, but it really depends on when the truck gets done. In any case, email or call me if you are interested, and I will start a list. I don't want to tattoo the whole time I am there, but I would be willing to do about two days worth of work.

I miss a lot of you guys in New Orleans, I really do.

Ok. A couple of rants.

First, a personal one. There were three people that I have not talked to in a long time that contacted me after the hurricane. One was someone I was close to in grade school and high school, one was one that I was close to in college, and one was one I was close to in Minneapolis. I love each of these people very much. When they contacted me, I thought that one good thing about the hurricane and everything that happened was that I was going to maybe be in touch with these people again. I was really happy about that. Of course, since then, I have not heard from any of these people. I don't mean to sound crappy, but I am feeling pretty darn alone out here. I don't know very many people aside from those that I work with and my mom. I really miss having all three of these people in my life. I had sort of gotten over the fact that I wouldn't be talking to any of them anymore a while ago, and hearing from them again and then not hearing from them has sort of opened new wounds.

Enough about that.

Second.... the city of New Orleans. Ok, I know they have a lot to deal with, but they still don't know what they are doing as far as city employees go. I am sure that it is the same with all of the essentail personnel, but I only really know personally about the fire department. Steve worked for almost three weeks straight, 24 hours a day. The city paid him for overtime a couple of days ago by direct deposit, and then took a good bit of that money back out of his account without telling him. Is that even legal? Then, they were on a four day on/eight day off schedual which was really good for a lot of the firefighters because a lot of them have family out of town and that time off was good for them to go to see them. Also, people that had to work on their houses and that time actually let them get something done. Then, they switched them back to a 24 hour on/ 48 hour off schedual. Silly. They did it without much notification. In fact, Steve thought that he was supposed to be off today because he worked for the last four days, but he found out yesterday that he had to work today and that if he needed the day off, he would have to take annual leave. Some of the firefighters got sent out of town on vacation, some didn't. Some guys got paid that were not even there. They don't have half of the equipment that they need. I don't know. I just see this being a huge mess down the line and I hate to think of Steve, or any of the other people that I care about, getting screwed over after they did their best to keep the city together.

Anyway... again, enough of that. Things are pretty good really. Aside from being here without anyone else, my life and my job is pretty perfect.

I am off to go car shopping. I will let you know what I find.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

RDF Schema for musical family trees?
O'Reilly European Open Source Convention October 17-20, 2005, Amsterdam, The Netherlands I was recently talking to another alternative music geek at a party -- trying to explain the incestuous relationship ...
Find out how you can buy & sell anything, like things related to private road construction on interest free credit and pay back whenever you want! Exchange FREE ads on any topic, like private road construction!

9:14 AM  
Anonymous Amy said...

Sage,
The pictures of your shop...I can't imagine how it feels to look at the place and see it like that.
If there's anything that a complete stranger from Maryland can do to help you rebuild, let me know. Someday I'll have you give me a tattoo! :-)
Hang in there.

--Amy (darkcello from the BPAL boards)

9:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sage,

Keith here... I passed by the shop and peeked in, then I saw the pictures. All I can say is HOLY FUCK. I'm so sorry you have to go through all of this. I also want to make an appointment when you come in town. It would be cool to come close to finishing this thing. I have recieved like a thousand compliments on the fleur de lis, it has so much more meaning now, ya know? I will send you an email with my number and all that jazz, in case this doesn't work. Take care.

6:07 PM  
Blogger Smallman said...

I have a similar site related to nipple ring Come by some time.
I definitely like your site, bookmarked! This post is good stuff.

12:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home