Monday, September 05, 2005

Some people I love are safe

Since the last time I posted, I heard from Steve's Dad and grandparent's. They are all safe. I also heard Dan was ok... he is in Lake Charles. In other words, the whole crew from Ink-A-Bink made it out safe and sound. I bet Jason is glad he moved to New York =).

Roger and Miles have moved back to Minneapolis, at least for the time being. I have sort of held off on finding a tattoo job until I figure out what is going on with Steve. More on him. He is still in New Orleans. Cell phones are working a little bit better right now and I am able to hear from him a little more often. Makes me feel a lot better. There was a plan in place to get all of the firefighters out of town to be evaluated mentally and physically. About 150 are out right now. Steve is supposed to be leaving tomorrow. However, the chain of command is really screwed up because the superintendant resigned, and no one is in charge anymore. Now they want some people to stay behind, or some to go. They don't know where they are sending people, they were supposed to go to either Atlanta or Las Vegas. One of the chiefs yelled at Steve and that he could forget about going to either place.

Now, I am trying really hard not to freak out. But here is the deal. They told him at first that he would probably be there a month. He was ok with that. He knew that was the deal and he was mentally prepared for it. Then they told him that basically they were concerned about their mental health (and rightfully so, considering that a couple of police officers killed themselves and the conditions there), and that they would be sending him to get checked out by doctors (which he hasn't yet) and then he would be able to spend a week with his family. Then they told him to forget about that.

I am so flammingly pissed off at everything that has to do with this situation. No one is in charge. No one knows what they are doing. He is not enlisted in a branch of the military, he is a paid employee of a city. He has been working since Sunday morning without any days, or even hours off, without a place to sleep, without water and food for a good part of it, getting shot at while trying to put out fires and seeing some of the most horrible things that he has even seen in his life. Now, I understand that at least he has not been trapped on a roof for this whole week. I do. I am not saying that he is in the worst situation in the world, but they need to get their shit together over there.

I know that I am going to start babbling and not making sense very soon. .. so I am going to stop.

--Sage

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Coral Bay marina plan prompts CZM action
Long-vacant positions on the St. John Coastal Zone Management Commission have been filled by three appointments made by the Governor, according to the St.
Love your blog ! I'm bookmarking you!

I have a millionaires site/blog. It touches on millionaires related stuff.

Check it out if you get time :-)

10:12 PM  
Anonymous nolatrinity@comcast.net said...

It's jenna and I just wanted to say hi and I'm so glad that you guys all got out. You're probably going, who is this crazy chic.. you did some Edward Gorey tattoos and a three way handcuff on my back. I come in with Joe from Nashville. I hope Steve is doing ok if he needs anything or if you need anything just let me know how to get stuff to you guys. I'll help out any way I can. Once you get back to work (if you get back to tattoo work) let me know where you're at. I can make an excuse to visit just about any where =) I'm so happy to know you are doing reasonably ok and I hope Steve gets some time off soon.

5:58 PM  
Blogger tweedledeetweedledum said...

This blog is awesome! If you get a chance you may want to visit this software site, it's pretty awesome too!

6:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

((((SAGE))))...you have every right to be pissed off. New Orleans is the laughing stock of the nation right now...its a total shame. You and Steve really need time to heal...Together...I can only imagine the horrors hes seen and HAD no choice but to deal with. Its as though everyone here is in total disbelief...we are all walking around like zombies. And although I personally came out ok my entire family all lost their homes...and unfortunately as we found out just two days ago lives...you are a trooper and if we can survive this we all can survive anything. If Steve needs anything when he gets back down here let him know I'll be glad to cook him a nice dinner! Or if he or you need anything else let meknow...our phone is working eratically but my number is 985.886.0109...My nightmare has been dealt with...now I want to help my friends cope...
Blessings and much love
Phyllis

6:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home